Thursday, March 29, 2007

Montreal Board Teaches Tech to Teachers (by Karen Seidman, The Gazette, March 22, 2007)

The Lester B, Pearson School Board has recently decided to switch gears and spend money on educating teachers on how to use technology rather than just buying hardware. I think that this is a great idea because how effective will new hardware be if teachers don't know how to use it? I think that as technology changes, teachers should be forced, or at least given the option to attend workshops to keep them up to date. I think that older teachers have a tendency to be scared of using technology. If schools put all teachers in workshops to help them, then these teachers would become more comfortable with using and implementing technology into their classrooms. Also, the new white boards that were mentioned in the article are really cool. I've only seen one used before, and that was briefly as I was passing down a school's hallway. I am very interested in what they can all do and how they can be used. Hopefully the school in which I am employed with will have a few to use so that I might hopefully use one in my classroom. I am curious about them because I have not been exposed to them in any of my internships or in any of my methods courses.

No comments: