Saturday, April 7, 2007

Week 13 Article Reviews

Article Title: A Digital Decade
Source: Technology Counts '07
Web Link: http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2007/03/29/30intro.h26.html

Reflection:
Technology is becoming such an intricle part of society as well as in our schools. This last decade has especially focused in on technology and its various uses and opportunities. Billions of dollars are being spent each year to prepare schools for tomorrow's technological demands and challenges. Much of the focus of this money is geared towards equipping schools for the internet and technology. I think that billions of dollars should be spent on technology in school systems. Our industies and economics are now driven and carried out through the use of technology and we as teachers not only need to be teaching our students about history and the arts, etc, but also equipping them to be entering into the work force as productive members of society. Disadvantaged schools (schools with very few resources and money) have been left behind in this technology shift, but the federal government has created an "education rate" or "E-rate" program that provides discounts on technology for disadvantaged schools. This has been wonderful for these school districts, and the gap between high-income and low-income schools in perspective to technology access and knowledge has been narrowing.

Article Title: More Students Getting Laptops Instead of Textbooks. "Louisiana High School Becomes Latest to Switch to an All-Digital Curriculum"
Source: eSchool News staff and wire service reports
Web Link: http://www.eschoolnews.org/news/showStoryts.cfm?ArticleID=6998

Reflection:
I personally find this push towards an all-digital curriculum kind of scary. Perhaps, that is because I grew up in a technology emersing society and not a technology driven society that we are approaching. I fully support the use of technology in classrooms, but I also think that there is a point at which school systems should not cross. For example, I believe that students should learn how to multiply and divide as well as learn the functions of a calculator. I also believe that students should learn to write in print and in cursive as well as learn how to type. I do see the advantages of replacing text books with laptops though. Schools would not have to buy books every year and the information would always be up to date. Students would also have a wide variety and sources of information. Overall, I believe that this shift from texts books to laptops is beneficial, but I just hope that some of the basic curriculum in the classroom is enforced.

Article: Beginning Teachers' Technology Use: First-Year Teacher Development and the Institutional Context's Affect on New Teachers' Instructional Technology Use with Students
Source: Journal of Research on Technology in Education, Jon M. Clausen
Web Link: NONE... paper copy

Reflection:
There is an on-going student regarding teacher development and technology usage with students. The two questions that drive this study are: How did the first year development of two beginning teachers affect their technology use with students? and How did the existing institutional context affect technology use with students?
As I was reading this arcticle, I picked out the section that most related to my feelings: First-Year Teaching. I agree that a teacher's development process includes their own K-12 experience, their college experience, and student teaching experience. I thought that it was interesting to read that within the first years, teachers go through a period of survival, discovery, adaptation, and learning. I know that when I receive my first teaching job I will be struggling to keep up with the veteran teachers and to prove myself as an educator. I think that once I get the hang of things I will then discover things about myself as a teacher and about my students, then I will adapt and learn from my experiences.
My eyes were really opened while reading a response from Patricia, "I didn't realize that it never stops. You never get a break, even when you are eating lunch, even when you don't have recess duty, it's not like free time, there is always something to think about or something that you can do, and basically...your role as a teacher only stops when you want it to." WOW! I know that my role as a college student preparing to become a teacher never stops, there is always something to think about or do. I can't even imagine the stress that will come along with having my first professional role. I'm excited though, it's that drive and energy that will keep me going and within my profession.
The conclusion of this study resulted in discussing how teacher development is a process and just as teachers become more confident in their roles as educators, they will feel more confident while incorporating technology into their curriculum.

No comments: