Thursday, April 12, 2007

Week 17 Podcast Reflections

1.) Kidcast
Episode Title: Episode 1
Episode Number: 1
Date: 9/28/2005
Reflection:
This podcast was Dan Schmidt's very first broadcasting back in September of 2005. I wanted to listen to this particular podcast because I have found that you learn a little more about the person who creates all of the podcasts that you listen to. He comes from intelligenic.com and has a podcasting book that people can access. This book talks about how to podcast, how to connect podcasting to the curriculum, how podcasting can be used as a tool to reach out to parents and people in the education field, and how podcasting can help to meet curriculum goals. Podcasting is not only a great way to get students to tap into resources out there, but to get them to become a part of their project. As teachers, we should be looking for ways, such as podcasting, to make our classrooms into 21st Century Information Age Learning environments.

2.) Kidcast
Episode Title: Kidcast:Episode 4
Episode Number: 4
Date: 11/2/2005
Reflection:
In this podcasting episode, Dan Schmidt goes over a new report that has some really interesting information. According to the report in the podcast, 57 % percent of teenagers create content for the internet, 33% of teenagers share art work, photos, videos, and stories, 32% of teenagers have created websites or blogs in classrooms, and 19% have taken content from the internet and remixed it in their own creative way. I think that these numbers are pretty astounding. If we think about how often adults create content and publish it to the internet. Generally most adults use the internet to pay the bills, research topics, look things up, but they do not often create things and download them to share with other people on the internet. Adults tend to be internet consumers and teenagers are becoming more and more participants in the internet. I think that we should encourage teenagers to continue being active participants within the internet. Teenagers and young people alike are learning that the internet is an interactive place, not just a place to observe.

3.) Moving at the Speed of Creativity
Episode Title: What We Love about Teaching
Episode Number: 121
Date: 1/29/07
Reflection:
In this podcasting episode, teachers and administrators talked about the things that they love about teaching. Some of the responses were, " I love the reward of helping a student and the appreciation they have when they finally (get it)", " I love watching students develop and grow and know that I am apart of that process", and "Kids can make you laugh at any given time, they can truly make your day memorable." As I was listening to this podcast, I had to ask my self what I love about teaching. My response is: I love being a positive role model in students' lives and knowing that what I do within my job impacts these students' entire lives and futures. I enjoy helping students become productive young adults, and the laughter and joy that they bring each day.

No comments: